Skip to Main Content

Emergency services 24/7 • Specialty services 8am - 5pm

Ask About Financing

How To Deal With a Dog Bee Sting

Help, A Bee Has Stung My Dog!

While most dogs recover quickly from a bee sting, it's important to monitor your pet for any signs of a serious allergic reaction that could require emergency veterinary care. Today, our Somerset County vets explain what to do if your dog is stung by a bee. 

How can I tell if my dog has been stung by a bee?

Signs that your pup has been stung by a bee include drooling, swelling, excessive licking, and pawing at a specific area. You may also notice that your dog is digging around in a flower bush and crying out.

Bee stings on dogs often occur on the pads of the feet, the mouth, and the face.

What do I do if my dog has been stung?

After a sting, monitor your dog for an allergic reaction. In the meantime, call your regular vet to let them know what happened and ask if they’d like you to bring your dog in.

Monitoring Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction

The most important thing to do immediately following a bee sting is to watch for an allergic reaction. Dogs who have been stung before or who are stung by multiple bees at once time are more likely to have an allergic reaction.

It's crucial to keep an eye on your pet's breathing if the sting site swells noticeably, especially if it's on the neck or face. Take your dog to an emergency vet right away if you suspect that she isn't breathing enough or that she is beginning to gasp or wheeze.

If your dog starts vomiting within 5-10 minutes after being stung or has increasingly pale gums, this could be a sign of anaphylactic shock. If your dog shows either of these symptoms, head to an emergency vet immediately.

Other dangerous signs of an allergic reaction include significant drooling, agitation, or sudden aggression.

Making Your Dog More Comfortable

If 30 minutes to an hour have passed and your dog is showing no signs of an allergic reaction, you can focus on making them more comfortable.

In this case, your veterinarian may have already recommended over-the-counter medications (antihistamines such as Benadryl) but be sure to use the recommended dosage for your dog.

For most dogs, the area of the sting will be sensitive and puffy. If you can see the sting site and easily remove the stinger with tweezers, do so immediately to ease pain and prevent the venom from the stinger from spreading. 

After a sting, the majority of dogs should start to feel better within a few hours and should be back to normal within a day or two. To lessen swelling and inflammation, you can apply a damp towel to the sting site in the interim.

Contact your primary care vet to book a full health checkup for your pup and to have an opportunity to seek more advice on how to solve this frustrating issue.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet. 

Is your pup showing signs of an allergic reaction after being stung by a bee? Contact our Somerset County emergency veterinarians right away! At AnimERge we are available 24/7 to help your pup whenever they need us.

Caring for Pets in Somerset County

At AnimERge, our emergency service and specialty services accepts all clients. 

Contact Us

Contact (908) 707-9077